I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him. - Abraham Lincoln.
The Frugal Kindle reader may, without spending more than a pittance, amass a modest library of appropriate Fourth of July reading. This mini library costs less than $10 total and all of these books have the Kindle text-to-speech feature enabled.
NOTE: You may also want to refer to the earlier Kindle Reader 4th of July posts on fiction and nonfiction relating to the Revolutionary War period.
The Life of George Washington, by John Marshall. All five volumes in a single Kindle edition, with a table of contents. B&R Samizdat Express. Kindle edition $0.99. Text-to-Speech: Enabled.
Marshall fought in the Revolutionary War, serving as an officer under General George Washington at Valley Forge. He later became the fourth Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, appointed in 1801 by President John Adams. This five volume biography was first published between 1804 and 1807, not long after Washington's death in 1797.
The US Constitution - A Junior Novelization Not Just For Kids, by Stephen Gnoza. Kindle edition $0.99. Text-to-Speech: Enabled.
"...explains the rules that the Constitution sets up for government and advice on how to determine if government action is legal. In a few short years, when today’s children are able to vote, they’ll better understand why they vote. The book explains the reasons why the Constitution places strict limits on the government, how the Constitution can be amended, a chart of the permissions granted to each branch of government, and a flow chart for determining if a proposed bill is permitted by the Constitution. The book also includes revised text of the Constitution, which has been re-written in plain English for easy comprehension, and the original text of the Constitution. Definitions and examples are provided throughout for clarity." - Amazon.
When Boston Braved the King: A Story of Tea Party Times, by William Eleazar Barton. Kindle edition $2.99. Text-to-Speech: Enabled.
This book was first published in 1899. From the book's Preface: "The story of the Boston Tea-Party has been told many times, but still it offers to the story-teller a tempting theme. One thing which deserves to be brought more prominently to the front is the large share which the young people, the apprentices, the boys in the Latin School, and the Daughters of Liberty had in the making of public sentiment and the carrying out of daring projects in those momentous days. This story is intended to be accurate in its representation of historic characters and events ; to give a true picture of life and thought in Boston before the Revolution, and to bring to the front the young people of the time..."
The U.S. Constitution and Fascinating Facts About It, by Terry L. Jordan. Oak Hill Publishing Company. Kindle edition $2.36. Text-to-Speech: Enabled.
The entire text of the U.S. Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and the Bill of Rights plus facts about the framers and the era of the American Revolution.
Adventures and Reminiscences of a Volunteer (A Drummer Boy from Maine), by George T. Ulmer. Truman Publishing. Kindle edition $0.99. Text-to-Speech: Enabled.
Also available as a free download from Manybooks.com.
Excerpt: "...The war grew more and more serious. Newspapers were eagerly sought; and every word about the struggle was read over and over again. A new call for troops was made, another and still another, and I was all the time fretting and chafing in the corn or potato field, because I was so young and small. I could not work; the fire of patriotism was burning me up. My eldest brother had arrived at the age and required size to fit him for the service; he enlisted and went to the front. This added new fuel to the flame already within me, and one day I threw down the hoe and declared that I would go to the war! I would join my brother at all hazards. My folks laughed at me and tried to dissuade me from so unwise a step, but my mind was made up, and I was bound to enlist. Enlist I did, when I was only fourteen years of age and extremely small for my years, but I thought I would answer for a drummer boy if nothing else..."
Poor Richard's Almanac: The Wit and Wisdom of Benjamin Franklin, by Benjamin Franklin. Kindle edition $0.99. Text-to-Speech: Enabled.
"If you want the brutal truth, I did not expect to get much useful information out of Poor Richard's Almanack. I wondered, what could Benjamin Franklin - a guy who has been, no offense, dead for more than two hundred years - possibly have to say that would be relevant to a resident of today's dot-com world? Plenty, as it turns out." - from the introduction by Dave Barry.
Fourth of July Reading for the Frugal Kindle Reader
---------------------------------
---------------------------------

0 comentarios:
Publicar un comentario